Research Data Finder is QUT’s discovery service for research data created or collected by QUT researchers. Designed to promote the visibility of QUT research datasets, Research Data Finder provides descriptions about shareable, reusable datasets available via open or mediated access.
Interlinked web pages explicitly connect descriptive information about data collections, researchers or research groups, publications and projects. Users can link from a dataset description to a profile of one of its owners; from there, research projects that the data owner is a participant in can also be found.
Information stored in QUT Research Data Finder is exposed to a wider research audience through selected external harvesters, including the Australian National Data Service (through their discovery service, Research Data Australia), and the National Library of Australia (NLA) (through Trove, the NLA’s digital information portal), as well as being highly indexed by Google and other search engines.
Researchers are encouraged to read QUT’s Statement of Responsibilities before publishing their research data and/or metadata.
Researchers are also encouraged to complete a data management plan at the commencement of a research project. QUT's Data Management Planning tool can assist in creating plans and creating Research Data Finder records.
Data Sharing at QUT
The open sharing of research data significantly supports research communities by:
- Saving time and money collecting data that might already exist
- Advancing scientific discovery
- Combining datasets to create new data
- Re-purposing data to enable exploration of topics not envisioned by initial investigators
- Eliminating duplication of data
- Facilitating the verification of research
The open sharing of research data benefits researchers through:
- Increased numbers of publication citations, leading to a higher h-index
- Successful applications for promotion and tenure
- More opportunities for collaboration with industry partners
- Successful research grant applications
- New discoveries and publications arising from the combination of datasets
The QUT Research Data Finder website is Copyright @ QUT. All rights reserved. QUT Copyright
Datasets within QUT Research Data Finder have been described in good faith. Every attempt is made to ensure copyright obligations have been met. Please see individual dataset records for specific copyright, license and access information.
If you have discovered material on QUT Research Data Finder which you consider infringes your copyright, contact firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the following information:
- Your complete contact details
- Details of the relevant dataset, including URL
- Full details of your complaint
- Confirmation that you are the copyright holder or are authorised to act on behalf of the copyright holder